Saturday, January 15, 2011

I'm Batman!

I've always been a fan of Batman since I was a kid. I still have loads of comics and other miscellaneous collectibles around, up to and including costume parts and accessories I made. This year I finally made something awesome and even more dortastic; the Bat Cloak! I found a tutorial online for cloaks and used the 'opera cloak' pattern for Batman, adding little "bat ears" to the hood. It's made of polar fleece and I even serged the seams inside even though this was a quick and dirty try to see if I could make it and work out all the kinks before constructing a really nice one with a lining. It's still pretty warm though.

here are the bat ears

and here is probably the most dorky picture I have ever taken, but I love this cloak anyways :P
The original pattern for the cloak had to be modified because it makes a MAN sized garment and I am 5'3 and about 100lbs soaking wet. So I cut like a foot from the hem and had to seriously downsize the shoulders (that was where having an adjustable dress form came is super handy)
All in all, it took about 4 lazy hours to make this, I could probably cut the time down a bit (even with adding a lining) if I really worked on it seriously. But it was a pretty easy project to tackle and I don't know why I didn't make a cloak ever before.

ANYways. . .

I also made (like a million years ago) a Batman belt, just quickly and out of fabric, but it's pretty cool. There will be a replacement belt soon with no fraying edges, but I still love the original.


frayed edges=bad! But the little pockets are real pockets. Mostly they hold bobby pins, gum, change, a book of matches, etc. You can't put much in there, it's just for looks really.


This was the latest full Batman(girl) costume

No comments:

Post a Comment